August 28, 2015 – A “sledgehammering” ceremony was held to commemorate the beginning of the construction phase at the Havre de Grace Opera House.
Supporters gathered to celebrate the beginning of the project by knocking down the existing sign in front of the building. Constructed in 1870, the 145-year-old, city-owned building will be renovated and restored to better serve as a multi-use community theatre and performing arts venue. Located on North Union Avenue in the heart of Havre de Grace, the building has been used by the public since 1871 as an opera house, school, city hall, library and most recently, a two-story theatre.
Phased work on the historic building will involve comprehensive interior renovations and the restoration of the building’s exterior façade to the period of historic significance. First floor space will include a box office, dressing rooms and additional multipurpose space to support a number of activities for the arts and business community—the second floor will host a modern theatre. Complete upgrades to the mechanical, electrical and plumbing throughout the building will take place as well as the installation of modern lighting and sound systems in the theatrical space. Additionally, a new atrium with an ADA accessible elevator will be constructed connecting the opera house to the adjacent fire station.
Baltimore Sun article – “Renovations of Havre de Grace Opera House are Underway”
In addition to the restoration, Lewis is currently working directly across the street from the opera house on the construction of Havre de Grace’s new library.
LEWIS BUILDS MARYLAND. Lewis Contractors is an award winning, family owned and operated construction management and general contracting firm. Engaging in all types of academic, institutional, restoration, industrial, and commercial projects, the Lewis Team delivers a tradition of excellence, innovative thinking, and attention to detail to their clients’ projects.