April 27, 2018 – Lewis Contractors is pleased to announce six Excellence in Construction awards from Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC). The projects vary in size and type from large new construction to historic renovation, and were all completed on challenging construction sites. ABC’s awards are based on the project owner’s satisfaction with a contractor’s performance, augmented by the design team’s impressions and a peer review. Recognized this year are the following Lewis projects:
Church of the Nativity, Timonium – a 40,000 sq. ft. addition and renovation project which more than doubled the capacity of the church and added gathering space for the entire congregation. Completed in only 18 months, the project proceeded while the existing church remained fully operational. Some work to the existing sanctuary was completed in order to tie the new structure to the existing church and all work was completed without interruption to the worship schedule. (See Video)
The Walters Art Museum 1 W. Mount Vernon Place Renovation and Restoration, Baltimore – completed in 1850 as the first home on Mount Vernon Place in Baltimore, Lewis renovated the home for only the second time in the building’s history. The driving force behind this restoration was the installation of a new water mist fire suppression system—the first of its kind in the United States. Under the watchful supervision of the Maryland Historical Trust, Lewis forces installed the new fire suppression system devices within the ornamental plasterwork. The team removed, repaired and re-installed historic wood flooring within the gallery space, installed new fixed storm windows, replaced the existing roofs, restored or replicated dozens of antefix ornaments at the roof, refinished the cast iron window pediments and completed masonry repair work. Also included was the complete restoration of the conservatory and renovations to the adjacent Ford Gallery. (See Video)
Preschool, Early Learning and Outreach Center at Maryland School for the Blind, Baltimore – work included a complete renovation to the existing 36,000 sq. ft. educational facility which had been empty for four years, and construction of two new additions to house the school’s kindergarten and pre-school programs. Due to the unique nature of the student population, some of whom have multiple handicaps, included in the project are unique life skills programs that help prepare the students for social interactions through play. The final design and construction helps to provide increased contrast, decreased visual clutter, organization of space and specialized/adjustable lighting to provide optimal learning environments. Of particular importance to Lewis’ ongoing presence on the school campus are the safety considerations which differ from those on other sites. This project represents the most recently completed phase of the school’s $100 million campus-wide improvement program—all projects have been successfully completed by Lewis as the school’s construction manager. (See Video)
Villa Olier Renovations, Catonsville – as design/builder, Lewis worked with the Associated Sulpicians of the United States to renovate the fully occupied residence for retired priest and their on-site retired religious manager and guest quarters. The newly renovated spaces provide two units with full kitchens, thirteen with kitchenettes, a large dining room with commercial kitchen, a library, living room, fitness center, pool, sunroom, computer room and chapel all surrounding an open-air courtyard for relaxing and dining.
Hessian Barracks Rehabilitation at Maryland School for the Deaf, Frederick – this L shaped, two story stone building is one of the first government buildings constructed for the State of Maryland. Though no cornerstone exists, it is well documented as having been constructed between 1777 and 1780 using a labor force consisting of captured British and Hessian prisoners who were later quartered in the structure they built. It was later used as a mustering point for troops during the War of 1812 and as a hospital during the Civil War. This phase one restoration project included replacing the badly damaged slate roof with a historically accurate side lap red oak wood shingle roof system. Work was completed using eighteenth century construction techniques and the completed project is believed to be the only side lap shingle structure with both a hip and valley existing in the country today. Additional masonry infill, structural work, restoration/re-construction of the chimneys, and work to the fireplaces completed the phase one contract. Final restoration work will be completed as funds are made available.
Homewood House Museum Roof Drainage Improvements, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore – after decades of rainwater had damaged the foundation and lower level walls of this historic eighteenth century home of one of Maryland’s founding families, Lewis returned to the mansion to begin work on its sixth project at this site. New lead coated copper gutters and downspouts were installed, the historic brick apron at the home’s perimeter removed, earth beneath re-graded and the bricks re-laid in their original pattern, new underground storm water piping was installed following hand excavation, new metal banded pathways installed and the entire disturbed area re-sodded. Work was completed on a fast track basis to mitigate a delay in the project’s start, yet still met the deadline for Johns Hopkins University’s tradition of having new students enter the campus for the first time by walking through the museum. The museum remained occupied throughout the project and little if any evidence of the construction work remained when the students returned to campus.
Awards for these projects and others recognized by ABC Baltimore were presented at the annual gala on April 24th.