February 2, 2017 - The USGBC Maryland announced the winners of the 2016 Wintergreen Awards, an annual recognition of businesses and local projects that demonstrate exemplary commitment and achievements in creating a more sustainable future for Maryland.
“As one of the top 10 states in the country for LEED certification, Maryland continues to be a leader in the green building movement and environmental stewardship,” said Sabrina Bachman, director of community for USGBC Maryland. “Many of the projects celebrated at the Wintergreen awards are prime examples of the high-caliber buildings and projects that are driving the sustainable built sector across the state and contributing to our goal of a green building for all within this generation.”
The 2016 USGBC Maryland Wintergreen Award winners are:
- Nonprofit/Public Project: Center for Parks and People at Auchentoroly Terrace, Baltimore
- Small Commercial Project: Clarksville Commons, Clarksville
- Large Commercial Project: Exelon Baltimore Headquarters and Exelon Building, Baltimore
- Residential Project: Flats 8300, Bethesda
- Education Project: Salisbury University Patricia R. Guerrieri Academic Commons Building, Salisbury
- Innovation Project: Tiny House—Mobile Energy Education Center, Baltimore
- Leadership: Baltimore City Public Schools, Baltimore
- President’s Choice: Lorax Partnerships, Baltimore
- People’s Choice Project: 1201 Winterson—Redevelopment, Linthicum
Built by Lewis Contractors, the Parks & People Foundation’s new Baltimore campus consisted of two phases of work involving the restoration of the Druid Hill Park Superintendent’s House and the construction of the foundation’s new headquarters building designed to provide laboratory and classroom space for environmental education and job training.
The entire project earned the the U.S. Green Building Council’s highest green building certification of LEED Platinum.
LEWIS BUILDS MARYLAND. Founded as general contractors in 1966 Lewis Contractors is celebrating its first 50 years of building Maryland. An award winning, family owned and operated construction management and general contracting firm, Lewis engages in all types of academic, institutional, restoration, industrial, and commercial projects, the Lewis Team delivers a tradition of excellence, innovative thinking, and attention to detail to their clients’ projects.