June 19, 2019 – Lewis Contractors is proud to announce that Towson University’s new campus recreation center, Burdick Hall, has been awarded LEED Gold certification by the U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC). LEED certification is bestowed by the USGBC based on a rating system that measures a building’s environmental impact. The LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) rating system is the foremost program for buildings that are designed, constructed, maintained, and operated for improved environmental and human health performance. Towson University’s Burdick Hall achieved LEED Gold certification for implementing practical and measurable strategies and solutions aimed at achieving high performance in areas such as energy and water efficiency, indoor environmental quality, materials selection, and sustainable site development, among others.
The expansion of Burdick Hall enhances the student-life experience by promoting heathier lifestyles and offering students a wide range of fitness options. Some of the new features that the Towson University student, faculty, and alumni community will find in Burdick include:
• 22,000-square feet of open fitness floor space for cardio, strength, and functional training
• An elevated sprint hill and simulated stadium stairs for interval training
• A new outdoor adventures center with its re-opened 33’ tall climbing wall
• Brand-new cardio machines, strength training machines, and free weights
• Ninja Warrior style training course based upon the popular television show
• Five studios for group fitness classes
• Two multi-activity courts for volleyball, badminton, and Futsal
Overall, Burdick Hall has received a 94,000 SF three-story expansion and an 8,000 SF renovation to convert the newly enlarged, 235,000 SF center to become one of the most comprehensive and state-of-the-art recreation centers throughout the State of Maryland. With an emphasis on improving the health of the local community, maximizing sustainable efforts, and minimizing the negative environmental impact on the surrounding area, it is clear why Burdick Hall achieved LEED Gold certification status.