Mount Vernon Place Conservancy | Washington Monument Restoration
Lewis Contractors completed this historical restoration of the landmark Mt. Vernon Washington Monument located in downtown Baltimore. Work on this 18-story monument included both comprehensive interior and exterior repairs and renovations. Restoration efforts included stone restoration and conservation, replication and the restoration of the original cast iron fence. Renovations included new roof terrace above the first floor (what has now become the new exhibition space), modifications to doors, frames and hardware, new mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems throughout and security system wiring.
The base of the monument—lit in part by four restored skylights—is now a functional exhibition space where visitors can use touch screens to learn facts about the monument, the nation’s first president and Mount Vernon Place Conservancy. Original construction of the Mt. Vernon Washington Monument was completed in 1815—the monument is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- Baltimore Heritage Historic Preservation Award
- AIA Baltimore Contractor of the Year for Monument Restoration
- AIA Baltimore Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation
- Maryland Historical Trust Restoration Award
- ABC National Excellence in Construction Award
- ABC Baltimore Excellence in Construction Award