Johns Hopkins University | George Peabody Library Restoration
Completed in 1861, the official grand opening of this building was delayed until 1866, after the Civil War. Prior to our work, the Library was last rehabilitated in the 1970’s and had become a division of the Johns Hopkins University in 1986. Restoration tasks were varied but all took into account the seriousness of working in a landmark building filled with books, on six levels of open, cast iron stacks. Strong negative air pressure was established to exhaust all dust and fumes. Work was performed under the guidance of the Maryland Historic Trust, Hopkins staff, Peabody staff and the consulting architect. Work included restorations to skylights and ornamental laylights, marble flooring, ornamental woodwork restorations, a full restoration to the reading room, updates to the library work room, and restorations to the entry doors and miscellaneous millwork.
- ABC Baltimore Excellence in Construction Award