Roland Park Water Tower | Restoration
Lewis Contractors served as the CM-at-Risk for The Roland Park Community Foundation to repair and restore the Roland Park Water Tower, one of only two Beaux Arts water towers remaining in Maryland and a historic landmark for the Baltimore community. The 148-foot tall water tower was built in 1905 as a 211,000-gallon water tank to supply residents in Hampden and nearby neighborhoods as a part of Baltimore’s complicated water supply system in the early 20th century. Because the historic nature of the tower, the proposed restoration plan had to adhere to CHAP’s Historic Preservation Design Guidelines and the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties as the water tower has been placed on the National Registry of Historic Places.
The largest portion of the historic restoration was the exterior stone, brick, glazed terra cotta tile, tile roofing repairs, and repair of the exterior ledge of the belvedere and underside of the eave. Repointing of mortar, which was severely deteriorated, was one of the most useful preservation activities that was performed on the historic terracotta building. Ongoing and cyclical repointing extends the life of this material. The work also included removal of the existing metal shaft in the roof and replacement, stair repair and stabilization, removal of existing non-historic steel doors and providing new historic metal doors, window grates, enclosures, and finishes on the exterior of the water tower.